Dis Radio

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Moment of Admiration


For a moment, I stepped outside with my two dogs and admired them in their own world.  The eight year old yellow lab using her energy efficiently and effectively to play and to teach her twelve week old black companion.  I admired the fake flop over to give the puppy a temporary advantage in their play to learn games.  Sandy, never having had a puppy of her own seemed to instinctively understand the size and delicateness of her tiny companion.  She used her legs to push the pup into position to protect herself from those tiny needle teeth that repeatedly grabbed any loose bits of skin or body parts.  Their wrestling session showed me just how social dogs are and how much these two enjoyed having a companion.  My thoughts wandered off in reflection of whether I had make the proper choice for Sandy choosing for her to never have a litter of her own.  I can’t change that now, but I am glad for this moment when she can play adoptive parent and help to train this puppy that will some day take her place beside my husband in the duck marshes. As I walk through door to step back into my own world I can be happy, in the present, for Sandy and her new companion, Sammy.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely piece of writing. Your description created such a vivid picture in my mind. They must be adorable.
    SAS

    ReplyDelete