Dis Radio

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pride of the Parent

I watch my son, whom I now look up to.
I see him warm up batter's in the cage.
Soft toss, then moving behind the screen to throw BP
-wait a second- someone hit a home run
He runs to the field to congratulate his team mate.
Then back to the cage, continuing to help coach another team mate.
Preparing him for the game.
-another home run-
He jogs back out to the filed to join his team.
Back to the cage - helping again.
Then back to the dug out to support the others.
Finally the second game comes.
Peter is at short stop.
I love to watch him play.
He has grown up on the baseball field.
Learning to be a leader,
then stepping up to become a leader.
Coaching kids in the summer.
Staying positive through frustration.
Seeking advice when necessary.
Learning both patience and how to approach.
It is his turn to play again, to step on his field
and take his place,
"For love of the game".
A senior now, last year to play,
a bit of sorrow for all of us,
A captain, a leader, a coach,
and player team member.
Yes he grew up on the baseball field.
I look up at him. He's six feet tall.
Not tall on the team, but tall next to me.
I look up to him...
A LEADER.

2 comments:

  1. Very strong images.
    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. You feel like you're looking up but shoulder to shoulder - you've supported your son.

    ReplyDelete